As a consequence of my upbringing, I like to fix broken things. And if I can't fix them, I try to squeeze as much use out of them as I can. I found the front panel to a frequency counter in an e-waste bin, and seeing that it had a nice bank of nine seven-segment displays, thought I might re-purpose it into a clock. I often find myself forgetting which day of the week it is, and, since the longest day of the week has nine letters, this seemed a good topic for display! Being a quick and dirty project, I used a cheap ($3!) Arduino clone from China and an LED driver board
from Adafruit. I also 3D printed new buttons and cut a quick PCB to hold them.